Upgrading from Hotmail to Outlook.com
Even though you are going to upgrade your Hotmail account to Outlook.com account, the e-mail address you have right now with Hotmail need not be changed. Even after the upgrade, you will have the same @hotmail.com email address. If you need @Outlook.com account, then you will have to create a new one. All your emails, contacts list, folders, etc., in your Hotmail inbox will not be changed or would not be unavailable when you convert to Outlook. Even those will be converted. The only change that you will see when moving from Hotmail to outlook.com is the user interface that will be modern looking with a host of features.
Hotmail is the first free web based email service to be launched. It is now a property of Microsoft and has undergone plenty of changes. Right now, all series offered by Microsoft can be access with just a single Microsoft account. Hotmail has been taken over and is now combined with Outlook.com account. This is the desktop or a web based email service on offer from Microsoft. Even if you have a Hotmail account, you will be taken to the Outlook.com inbox when you sign up. All services offered by Microsoft are under a new suite called Windows Live.
Below are the steps steps you need to take to convert from Hotmail to outlook.com.
- Go to the hotmail.com website and in the sign in page, enter your email address and password to get into your Hotmail inbox.
- Inside the inbox, locate the Options seen on the top right side of the inbox page and then choose the option ‘upgrade to outlook.com’.
- You will next see a message show up on the screen asking you whether you are sure of this upgrade from Hotmail to outlook.com. You just click on the ‘upgrade to Outlook’ to initiate the process.
- Once the process is complete, you will find that your Hotmail inbox to be replaced with the all new Outlook.com inbox. You can immediately start using it.
If you are tired of the sight of Outlook.com and want to revert back to a Hotmail account, then reverting back from outlook.com to Hotmail is also possible.
Switching from Outlook.com to Hotmail
If you have volunteered to switch from Hotmail to outlook.com, then you can easily revert back to the old Hotmail. The step by step procedure to convert from the outlook.com to Hotmail is as follows:
- Open a new web browser and visit the outlook.com web page.
- You will enter the sign in page. Enter your username and password and click the sign in option and you will be taken to the Outlook inbox.
- Locate a gear on the top right corner of the page and click on it.
- A menu will be opened and there you need to find out the Switch back to Hotmail option.
- Once you locate that option, click on it. You will be seeing a prompt message seeking for feedback.
- If you would like to give your feedback, choose the option ‘send feedback’, or else click on the ‘Skip feedback’ option.
- A series of questions will be asked if you have opted for the send feedback option. After this you will be taken to your Hotmail inbox.
- If you have opted to skip the feedback section, then you will directly be taken to the Hotmail.
Changes in Hotmail inbox interface
If you choose the outlook.com inbox option, then you will find a whole lot of changes in the inbox. Now see the changes that you will come across when you access Hotmail inbox.
- Search suggestions give you quicker and easier way to find what you want. It will provide you details of people you communicate with and the content that is there in your inbox quickly.
- Refiners will allow you to concentrate your search based on attachments, dates received, sender and folder.
- There are as many as 13 new themes with graphic designs to enhance the look of your inbox.
- Adding a link to your message will instantly create a preview of what the contents of the link are to the receiver.
- Clutter will help in organizing your inbox and will send all messages that you would ignore to a separate folder.
- Images you would like to add in your message body can be copied and pasted wherever you want them.
- Pins can be used to move all important messages to the top of your inbox.
- The follow up messages can be marked using flags.